Kenneth L. Wilson Campground – New York
Latest Stay: June 6-8, 2015
- Site: 21
How to book: Reserve America
- Where: Catskills, west of Woodstock, NY
# of sites: 76 tent and trailer sites
Camp type: New York DEC
- Bath Situation: 1 bathroom in each of the three camp loops and a nice bath/showerhouse by the pond. The showers are 5-minute timed and some of the best state campground showers around. You can’t adjust the temperature, but it’s pretty good.
- Dishwashing: There is a dishwashing facility by the recycling center- it’s not particularly convenient to the sites, which makes it easy to justify putting dirty dishes in the car and washing them in the morning.
- Store: Can buy firewood at the gate, there is no real store
- Power/water: No electric, water in various areas
- Telephone/Wifi: NO CONNECTIVITY- enjoy it, but plan ahead
- Firepit: Concrete basins with backs and metal grids to grill
- Site base: Mostly dirt and pine needles with some tree roots
- Amenities: There is a decent short nature trail there and it is not far from good hiking and biking in surrounding areas.
- Sites: They are spacious, wooded, with nice rocks, and some have good mountain views. Our favorite site is #9, which is a deep site that has a lot of privacy. Some of the sites are really good for groups and others are close enough that you could have people across two sites. If you have a big rig, site 20 is a good site. We’ve also stayed in 35, which is a pretty nice little site on a hill and away from most of the traffic.
- Weird: This place has bears and the park folks really try to get around the park to warn people to be careful. Some people are not, which the keep the bears coming back. The recycling building is open limited hours, which is odd for a place where they really want you to dispose of your trash.
- Camper Types: The folks who camp here are a mix- some are groups, some really serious campers, mostly tents and not so many RVs, but there are always a few. There are always a handful of really inexperienced campers or some hopeful folks who thought little tiny kids would love this. It can be fun to watch.
- Rating: 5 out of 5
- Nearby: Woodstock, Phoenicia, the Ashokan Reservoir, Minnewaska
- Campground Map: