Steak, Noodles and Green Beans
Cooking something that doesn’t get cooked in one pot while camping offers the added challenge of cooking in multiple pots one after the other (at least if you are cooking on just one burner the way I do) and then figuring out how you are going to keep things warm long enough to get a meal served.
This simple meal works out well if prepared in a particular order:
- package of Knorr noodles
- steak spice mix
- olive oil
- fresh green beans
- (for all of these, use as much as you need for the number of people you are serving)
- Prepare the noodles according to the package instructions (this is where you need butter).
- When they are almost done, take it off the fire and put a plate over the top of the pan to hold the heat in.
- Put on a pot of water to boil.
- While you are waiting for it to boil, wash the beans and snap the ends off them.
- Put them in the boiling water and leave for a few minutes.
- While the beans are cooking, cut the steak into bite sized pieces.
- Before they are “done”, take the water off the fire and leave the beans in it (this will finish cooking them AND keep them hot).
- Now put the steak with a little bit of olive oil and the spices, some pepper and a little mustard into the pan and turn the heat on medium.
- Cook the steak until it is as done as you like.
- Now you can plate hot steak along with still warm noodles and green beans.
- Serve with some bread and butter and steak sauce if you want.
- This works with any type of couscous, mac ‘n cheese or other type of hot side dish
- You can also do this just as easily with other veggies- broccoli, brussel sprouts or asparagus are good