Coneys in the Rain
When it is raining at dinner time, you want something simple that is quick to make and easy to eat under your rain shelter. One of my favorite items for these evenings is chili coneys! Of course I’m from Cincinnati, so coneys aren’t just a rainy night thing, but they sure do make dinner on these nights tasty and fun.
- Hot dogs (I go organic and freeze them before packing)
- Hot dog buns
- Yellow mustard
- A can of chili (I go with either Skyline or Gold Star and keep a can in my camping kitchen bag)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (I like to have a bag of this in my cooler- perfect for this meal or quesadillas, or tacos)
- A yellow onion (if you like that sort of thing)
- Boil some water and cook the hotdogs
- Warm up the chili in a pan
- Assemble the Coneys
- Bun, then mustard, then hot dog, then chili, then cheese, then onion (again, if you must)
Voila! Dinner is prepared, it took all of two pans and you can do it easy peasy under your shelter.